9425 West Sam Houston Parkway North, Houston, TX. 77064 Bible Study: 9:30 Saturday; Worship: 10:50 Saturday
Health and Temperance Ministry is an integral part of the mission of the Seventh day Adventist Church. It is the gospel of Christ illustrated and the message of Christ practiced, without it the gospel witness is muted; it is merely a theory an idea. 1 Cor 10:31 states, “Whether therefore ye eat, or drink or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.” (KJV).
Adventists believe the key to wellness lies in a life of balance and temperance. Nature creates a wealth of good things that lead to vibrant health. Pure water, fresh air and sunlight when used appropriately promote clean, healthy lives. Exercise and avoidance of harmful substances such as tobacco, alcohol and mind-altering substances lead to clear minds and wise choices.”A well-balanced vegetarian diet that avoids the consumption of meat coupled with intake of legumes, whole grains, nuts, fruits and vegetables, along with a source of vitamin B12, will promote vigorous health.
Such health is a gift from a loving God who wants us to live life in its abundance. When we benefit from such love, we feel a sense of gratitude and appreciation toward our creator. Because of this, Adventists choose to praise God with joyful living. www.adventist.org
To continue the ministry that Christ started while he was here on earth not only one of spiritual enlightenment , but also of healing and restoration. “Christ would have his followers be “Whole Christians”. 1 Cor 6:19, describes “Whole Christians” as….“A temple of the Holy Spirit”. Wholeness and Health have been an emphasis of the SDA church since the 1860s based on biblical teachings and instruction. The body is the temple of the Holy spirit and we have been entrusted with the privilege of maintaining and improving our spiritual, mental, social, and physical health. Thus… the health ministries of the SDA Church promote good health & the prevention of ill health to help achieve the goal of wholeness. www.adventist.org
For our church to become a center for health, hope, healing and wholeness in the community. Where people may increase their health awareness, learn to incorporate standards for healthy living and find restoration in Christ for a hurting body, mind or soul. Thereby claiming the promise in
3 John 2 (KJV)
“ Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth”
– We host the annual health fair for the church and community, where we do free health screenings, health education, free healthy cooking demos, health lectures, CPR training, basic first aid training, healthy lifestyle counseling and much more… Volunteer now at: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Most sabbaths during divine hour a 3 mins health nugget is presented to educate the church members and visitors on how to promote good health by making good healthy choices.
CHIP Club ( Houston Central Health club)
– Interactive inreach and outreach health club that offers many activities for the community and church members, geared toward improving health and wellness. Meets monthly every 2nd Sunday at 9:30-11:00 am. Where you will learn how to foster and share health and wellness through exercise classes, hands on cooking classes, health talks and much more healthy activities. Join now: email@example.com
– The Complete Health Improvement Program which is a lifestyle Medicine Education Program that focuses on the whole-person health. Facilitated over 12-18 sessions (30-90 days) in a group environment with dynamic group discussion and peer support. It integrates optimal nutrition, exercise, behavioral psychology principles and additional tools. Proven to prevent, arrest and reverse chronic disease. Learn more at www.chiphealth.com.
– Health lectures on the 8 laws of health and the destroying effects of alcohol, tobacco and other harmful substances. We teach the good benefits of the 8 laws of health which includes a lifestyle of proper nutrition, exercise, water, sunlight, temperance, fresh air, rest and trust. We promote the use of God’s free health plan for everyone by offering Bible Studies on Health at link below: Amazing Facts Study Guide Lesson 13 (God’s Free Health Plan) – https://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/study-guide/e/4990/t/god-s-free-health-plan
Healthy Diet Counseling:
Adventists call upon one another to live as positive examples of God’s love and care.
Part of that example includes taking care of our health—we believe God calls us to care for our bodies, treating them with the respect a divine creation deserves as , Ps.139:14 states that , “ I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.” Gluttony and excess, even of something good, can be detrimental to our health. Inspired writer E.G White further explains that, “Temperance is a moderate use of that which is good and a total abstinence of that which is harmful.”
We offer healthy cooking classes with free recipes several times yearly for the church and community. We promote the preparing and eating of Vegetarian/Vegan Sabbath potlucks lunches to expose members and visitors to the original healthy diet that God had given to man. We also offer simple Vegetarian/ Vegan recipes on our church website: www.houstoncentralsda.org
See vegetarian starter kit here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ytS3f5RWYslzxMH4uODvOVULmSYYoJsY/view?usp=sharing